Thursday, August 29, 2013

DIY Spot Treatment for Acne-Prone Skin

WHAT TO USE:
  • 2 tbsp Aloe Vera Gel- anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, yet highly moisturizing
  • 1/2 tsp  Witch Hazel Extract - anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial
  • 1/2 tsp  Sea Salt - contains vital minerals that help acne heal faster and prevent infections (source)
  • a few drops*** of Thyme Oil - anti-septic and anti-bacterial - I've been hearing more and more people saying that thyme oil is THE best oil for acne treatment.
  • a few drops of Tea Tree Oil - heals existing acne + kills acne-causing bacteria.
  • a few drops of Lavender Oil - antiseptic and antibacterial, yet "easy" on the skin and doesn't cause excessive dryness.
  • a few drops of Peppermint Oil (optional) - peppermint oil isn't used in Grease Lightning, but I use it because it doesn't only inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria, it also increases blood circulation and has an amazing cooling  effect. Remember why we put ice pack on wounds? Ice stimulates blood circulation in the area you apply it to and thus prevents any discoloration in the form of bruising and scarring. Peppermint oil has similar effect on acne. (source)
 *** I put seven drops of each oil.

 

HOW TO MAKE & USE IT:


I first combine sea salt with witch hazel extract and aloe vera gel and mix them very well together. I then add my oils, mix again and put into a container. Whenever I need to use this treatment, I put some on a cotton swab and apply on the spots. I use a new swab/side on each spot to avoid transferring bacteria and I never use my fingers to apply the gel. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Colorful Mama Copyright © 2011 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template and web hosting